Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Morning meeting during field

For my final field experience, I was placed in a 4th grade classroom at Timpanogos Elementary in Provo.
My cooperating teacher, Mr. Evans, is a UVU graduate.
And guess what?
He does morning meetings.
His morning meetings involve a share and then either a game or a greeting.
They are only 10 minutes long, but I can see the good that comes from them.
I think his morning meetings have helped with classroom unity and they especially helped the students with their social skills.
On the first day of my three weeks, all of the students were lined up outside the classroom. Mr. Evans explained to them that I was visiting and that they should greet me before entering the classroom.
Holy cow was I am impressed! Every single student shook my hand while making eye contact with me. They introduced themselves and told me good morning! Some of them even asked me how I was doing.
I know that those skills came from morning meeting.

I feel so grateful that I am placed in a class where I will be able to continue doing morning meeting when I student teach in January. I'm excited to see what I come up with and the results that will come from doing it.

1 comment: